[Coco] CVS access to NitrOS9 and Toolshed

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Feb 15 16:07:21 EST 2011

As has been reported on Maltedmedia, Sourceforge was attacked this January and
to protect all projects, significant changes were made to the site. The projects
NitrOS9 and Toolshed were down for some time while Sourceforge did maintenance.

These projects are back up, but I for one, have found it impossible to get
access until today. Sourceforge is now requiring SSH-2 DSA log-ins and the
programs you use to checkout, update, or commit source code must match the
Sourceforge protocols.

I may be the only person using a Windows system to obtain and compile these
Sourceforge projects so I don't know how much this will help others. Still, just
in case it will help, here is how my WinXP system is set up.
I use TortoiseCVS to obtain the source code from Sourceforge. The Tortoise
package contains three support programs puttygen.exe, TortoisePlink.exe, and
pageant.exe which are used to log into Sourceforge with SSH-2 DSA protocols.

You must generate public/private keys with puttygen. Save the private key and
send the public key to Sourceforge. (Detailed instructions can be found on the
Sourceforge site.) You must tell TortoiseCVS that SSH protocol will be handled
by TortoisePlink. Before trying to checkout, update, or commit changes to
Sourceforge, you must start pageant and tell it which private key to use.

This is all fairly involved and I don't know what software is required for
non-Windows systems. Nevertheless, the process likely will be similar for any OS.

Robert