[Coco] OS9 vs Flex

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 31 01:51:48 EST 2011

Hi Aaron & others,

Yes, Flex is a single user system. There is a lot of software for it
though. Flex has to sit between $C000 and $DFFF. Calls to Flex are made
by jumps to absolute memory locations rather than vectoring through
software interrupts and function codes like I think OS9 does, so it's
not position independent. There is also Uniflex, which I don't know a
great deal about, but I think that is a multitasking upgrade from Flex.

Flex was designed for the South West Technical Products, Smoke Signal
Broadcasting, and Gimix computers. There might have been a few more.
They were mainly bases on the SS50 bus, so were more like the S100 card
slot systems. They were designed more for use with serial terminals
although there were some memory mapped video cards you could get for them.

The CoCo really integrated all the video display and graphics into a
single box, which made it a lot less expensive and more accessible to
the general public. It allowed you to use your colour TV as the display
again saving on cost.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au