[Coco] OS9 vs Flex

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 00:14:46 EST 2011

The 68 Micro Journal has tons of articles about FLEX.  Several
different varieties existed, some of which were
multitasking/multiuser, but the basic/stock/original flavor was single
tasking and a lot like CPM.   Like OS9 there was a version available
for most of the 6809 systems.

John Kent has a neat 6809 FPGA system that runs FLEX.  I only messed
around with it a little bit, but I think it fits in somewhere between
DECB and OS9 as far as capabilities.  If you want to know an awful lot
about it, spend some time in the 68 MJ:

https://sites.google.com/a/aaronwolfe.com/cococoding/home/magazines/68-micro-journal

You can sort of feel how it was initially fairly popular, but became
overshadowed by OS9 in time by noticing the relative # of ads and
number of articles in the journal over time.

-Aaron