[Coco] deluxe rs-232 program pak

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 30 20:38:13 EST 2011

On Friday, December 30, 2011 08:03:43 PM Robert Hermanek did opine:

> I have an rs-232 cart here, and the screw has never been taken out, so I
> don't really want to break the nice label for this question:  anyone
> know if this cart has a socketed ROM in it that could be removed and
> replaced with custom eprom?

Yes it does, but why?  It contains a program similar to teletext, a 35 year
old protocol that was obsolete by the time the shack burnt the roms.  Most
disconnect the roms CE line, or completely remove it. While I am not
familiar with any of them, there are rsdos programs that use it, like the
BBS stuff, and all the 'terminal' programs we used to access the likes of
delphi/bix & princetons old now shut down server back when a 1200 baud
modem was so fast it left a trail of smoke.  :)

We also have several os9 based term programs that can use it. The vt220
emulation I have on my site (down in the sig), and supercom (beta 2.3)
(it's there too) come to mind.

In the current nitros9 distribution, the drivers with sc6551 in their name
will need to be added to your os9boot file by editing the files in
BOOTLISTS.  Except for joydrv_6551l.sb, that is my 3 button mouse driver
using a 2nd set of chips piggy backed on the originals in that pack.  That
can also be used for a 2nd serial port at /t3 if you don't have/need the
mouse.

Bear in mind also that this sc6551 chip is a bit dane bramaged at how it
handles hardware flow control, and that there is a file kicking around that
describes a logic fix for that, which requires basic soldering skills to
do, plus if using an MPI, one needs to tie all 4 sockets together at pin 8
and remove 3 of the 4 pullup resistors along the front edge of that pcb
that are connected to those pin 8's.  This bypasses the slot selection
logic in the MPI which causes IRQ blocking so an incoming byte gets
serviced in good time instead of being thrown away because it wasn't
grabbed in time.

Then it will run flawlessly at baud=6, or 9600 baud.  There are some
additional tricks I don't have memorized that can make it work at 19,200
baud too.

One other thing about those 232 packs today is that the teeny little tin
canned aztec power converters in them are beginning to suffer from dried
electrolytic caps.  I smoked mine (literally, made a nice stink) 15 years
ago, pulled it out and ran 2 new traces to the card edge connector so it
runs on the MPI's + and - 12 volts.

That pack wasn't very good, but until Mark designs a new one with modern
chips in it, it is about the best we have, it just needs some fixing here
and there.  :)

Welcome to the list Herman, and I hope this helps.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Life is too short to be taken seriously.
		-- Oscar Wilde