[Coco] COCO FPGA - S3 Board SD/Flash interfaces

Leslie Ayling layling at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 26 05:54:42 EST 2011

Hi JCE,et al.

>Should I save my pennies for a DE1, or might there be some SD card
>interface board out there that could plug into the Spartan like the VGA
>breakout board.  On-board flash would be super cool.
>JCE

There are a couple of *cheap* interfaces for both SD Card and Flash ROM's
which could easily be interfaced to the S3 card from these guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-SD-Card-Development-Kit-Storage-Memory-Board-/
260904489676
SD Card interface $3.99

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S29GL128P-NorFlash-Memory-Storage-Development-Kit-Ac
cessory-Board-/250877009334
8Mx16bit Nor Flash $6.99

Fairly easy using some fly leads to wire the NOR-Flash board to the A1
connector on the S3
board so as to share the Address/data lines with the SRAMS (8 bits only).
Just
need to generate separate chip selects I guess.

I bought a couple of these for a work project, but it occurred to me
afterwards they
could be used on the S3 with CocoFPGA.

Just waiting to see where Gary takes us with the next source release...

Cheers,
Leslie