[Coco] 68B09E alive and well...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Dec 18 21:21:04 EST 2011

On 19 Oct 2011 at 16:42, Mike Craig wrote:

> I didn't know the old chips were still being utilized. Does anyone know of
> company still producing the 6800 series and where they might still be
> used?

If anyone is still manufacturing the MC6800 it would be Rochester Electronics. They have
agreements with nearly all the original manufacturers to recreate any IC that is now obsolete.
Granted it will be for a hefty price though. I am not aware of anyone still using a 6800 in any
product in service today unless it is the military.  Rochester Electronics is the repository for all
the old IC mask sets. For some reason there has been felt a need for those to be kepted. IC
manufacturers need only keep the mask sets for ten years after the product is conceled to
support warranty issues. For the MC6800 that was sometime in the late 80's to early 90's.

I guess for a historical perspective to see where the industry has evolved it is not a bad idea.

james