[Coco] 68B09E alive and well...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Dec 18 20:40:39 EST 2011

On 19 Oct 2011 at 14:47, Paulo Lindoso wrote:

> As for the CPU manufacturing, I know Freescale bought Motorola's CPU/MPU
> division and still manufactures the HC08 and HC11 microcontrollers,
> which
> are essentially the evolution of 6800 series.  I did look up for the
> 6809,
> but couldn't find anything.

Not exactly bougth.

Motorola spun off the Semiconductor sector in two steps. The first was discrete
semiconductors like diodes, logic and stuff like that to OnSemi which they retained part
ownership at one time. I seem to remember the the figure of 10% ownership.

The second spin off was primarily the MCU and processor group that became Freescale. At
the beginning, most Freescale employees were ex-Motorolans.  The Freescale spin off came
during the big crunch. In 2000 Motorola started to reduce workforce world wide from 150,000
employees to just over 75,000 by 2004. Basically the grandson of the founder ran the
company into the ground. When he took over Motorola was doing $29 billion in sales. Chris
left it was doing about $18 billion.

There is still a Motorola semiconductor sector but it is internal to Motorola and does not sell
anything outside anymore. All the old Motorola ICs and stuf are either Freescale or On Semi.

james

an ex 23yr Motorolan.