[Coco] Free / Open Source Schematic / CAD SW (Was: Re: Electronics Newbie question)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Dec 18 20:28:48 EST 2011

On 18 Dec 2011 at 14:01, Joel Ewy wrote:

> On 12/18/2011 10:47 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:05:35 AM Andrew did opine:
> >
> >> Paulo,
> >>
> >> This should probably be a separate thread, but anyhow...

> >> If you wanted something more "open source", then there are options like
> >> KiCad:
> >>
> >> http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page
> > Which ATM, has some real show stopper bugs.  Skip it.
> >

> Care to elaborate so's we can decide if they're show stoppers for all
> purposes?  I've played around with some versions of it in the past, but
> not done any real work with it.

I am not so sure about the bugs though I tried Kicad for a while and personally did not like it. I
think my issues primarily were in library development.

Of the low cost versions and free software, ithink eagle is about the best. There are a few
proprietary ones like ExpressPCB that you have to deal directly with that board house with
that particular software. ExpressPCB is not all that bad either. No autorouter.

Speaking of autorouters, Casdsoft wants $500 for their autorouter and personally they can
have. I would not tpay for it. Far to difficult to set up and their ripup and retry algorythim
sucks.

I have tried several of the low cost schematic capture layout tools for windows and by far
Eagle is about the best. The free version limits you to one page for schematics and pcb  size
of 80mm x 100mm and two layers.

By the way there are UNIX packages that I think are or at one time a bunch of crap. Mentor
Graphics in the 90's unto the early 2000's was the biggest overpriced junk software ever
made inmy opinion. It wa almost as bad as Cad4X. The best UNIX based softwre I have
used was Cadence Allegro. I have used version 2.0 to version 13 of the layout tool. Version
13 was a real fine piece of software. Their schematic editor and library tools were as good as
any on the market. The autorouter with that package was a CC(Cooper Chin) shape based
router. It could route manually or automatically. By far that was the best router I have ever
used.

just my opinon. though I was site librarian for schematic and pcb layout for the facility that I
worked at for ten years. Also I have yet to try any of the Linux software because I do not have
Linux installed on any of my computers. Just a matter of preference.

james