[Coco] Free / Open Source Schematic / CAD SW (Was: Re: Electronics Newbie question)

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Dec 18 16:07:31 EST 2011

On Sunday, December 18, 2011 03:07:24 PM Joel Ewy did opine:

> On 12/18/2011 10:47 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:05:35 AM Andrew did opine:
> >> Paulo,
> >>
> >> This should probably be a separate thread, but anyhow...

> >> If you wanted something more "open source", then there are options
> >> like KiCad:
> >>
> >> http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page
> >
> > Which ATM, has some real show stopper bugs.  Skip it.
>
> Care to elaborate so's we can decide if they're show stoppers for all
> purposes?  I've played around with some versions of it in the past, but
> not done any real work with it.

Follow the Bugs link Joel. Scary.

> >> Finally - a "fun" option (not sure what the status of it is; last I
> >> played with it, it was still "buggy", but showed a lot of potential):
> >>
> >> http://fritzing.org/
> >
> > This one looked interesting, but when I went to dl it, the 32 bit
> > linux choice shown was reported as not available.  Try again later...
>
> Just downloaded fritzing-0.6.4b.linux.i386.tar.bz2, so you might try it
> again.

Failed again, src file not available, so I clicked on the src and got it.
But the third attempt worked, so I have both now.  Unpacked, won't run,
needs a Qt that was only released last week.  Sucks.  So I unpack, cmake,
make, sudo make install.  It doesn't install any menu stuff to start it
with, so I have to cd to the build directory and "sh Fritzing.sh".  Looks
pretty but the first part I need to place is not in the right hand panel,
in any subdir of it.  So I'll first have to build the opto-interrupter I
need.  But I have now poked at half the menu stuff, no crash, no error
messages in the starting shell, so this is very promising.

More when I have something to brag about.

Happy Holidays everybody!

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
It's a brave man who, when things are at their darkest, can kick back and
party!
		-- Dennis Quaid, "Inner Space"