[Coco] Electronics Newbie question

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Sun Dec 18 06:25:06 EST 2011

Yes ...
I was going to suggest KiCAD too. It's what N8VEM uses for his Z80 /
S100 / Eurocard boards

You can get a standard edition of Eagle CAD for a couple of hundred
dollars, but it restricts you to 160mm x 100mm Eurocad size boards.
there might be a free version of Eagle but it limits you to a fairly
small board size.

There is also PCB express or express PCB who provide some free schematic
capture and PCB layout software, which is fairly easy to use and runs on
windows but you have to get the PCBs made through them.

I wrote a long email explaining the virtues of using programmable logic
such as FPGAs and CPLDs, but I decided not to post it. If you were going
to design an add on board for the CoCo, you might consider interfacing
to an FPGA or CPLD, so that you can reprogram the function of it.

FPGAs require fairly careful by passing and multiple supply rail
regulators. You can buy bare bones FPGA boards that have  the regulators
and configuration flash and clock on them.

http://gadgetforge.gadgetfactory.net/gf/project/butterfly_one/ (XC3S250E
is $49.99 and the XC3S500E $74.99) or
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/gadget-factory-m-29.html (XC3S250E
board is $49.90 and the XC3S500E $64.90) and there are other suppliers
in US and UK.

XESS corporation also make a small 40 pin DIP header board with an FPGA
on it called the XuLA which comes in a 50K gate version and a 200K gate
version. The advantage of the XuLA board is that it has about 8MW x 16
bit SDRAM on it. The 200K gate version I think sells for around US$70.

http://xess.com/prods/prod048.php
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2011/02/20/xess-xula-200-fpgauc-board/

I managed to squeeze a 6809 FPGA core, PS/2 keyboard interface, SDRAM
controller, serial interface and text based VDU on the XuLA 200K gate
version, so you could use it to implement a co-processor. The Gadget
Factory boards don't have external RAM, but there is some synchronous
block RAM in the FPGA chip that you can use for memory. There are AVR8
core and other CPU core available on opencores.org so you could put
other processors in it.

If you were to interface it to a CoCo you would need 3.3V to 5V voltage
level conversion chips on the interface.
You could design a basic carrier board for the FPGA board which had some
bus switches on it to do the level translation.

There are projects on the Gadget Factory and XESS corp web site as well
as opencores.org. There are a list of resources on my web page too.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent/FPGA.htm

You could for instance design a logic analyzer in the FPGA and have the
trace buffer readable by the CoCo. You could also implement timers,
pulse width modulators, frequency counters, graphics controllers and so
on.  The Gameduino is an add on FPGA board for the Arduino that can be
used as a  graphics controller.

http://excamera.com/sphinx/gameduino/

The XuLA board has a PIC with a USB interface, so it might even be
possible to interface the USB connection to the CoCo.

The FPGA development software can be downloaded from the Xilinx or
Altera web site. Be warned though, there is a fairly steep learning
curve learn how to write verlog or VHDL hardware description language to
program the FPGA. There is the possibility of designing at a schematic
block level, but that tends to lock you into particular software.

John.

http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent