[Coco] Electronics Newbie question

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sun Dec 18 04:45:14 EST 2011

Paulo,

This should probably be a separate thread, but anyhow...

Typically, many people recommend Eagle:

http://www.eaglecentral.ca/eagle/

It's only real downside (other than being "non-free" - that is, non-open
source, if that matters to you in any way) is the fact that to go beyond
a certain basic level (which you may or may not ever need), the license
cost climb into the stratosphere very quickly; however, I've been
assured by others that if you are using it for commercial purposes, to
design and sell PCBs (or kits, or products), that you'll recoup the cost
fairly quickly.

If you wanted something more "open source", then there are options like
KiCad:

http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page

...and gEDA:

http://electro.easyb.ch/pages/schem.html

Note that gEDA has a very, very steep learning curve (not that Eagle is
going to be easy, from what I understand). I don't have any real
experience with any of these packages, but I have looked at them all
from time to time. They all have their pros and cons, IMHO.

Finally - a "fun" option (not sure what the status of it is; last I
played with it, it was still "buggy", but showed a lot of potential):

http://fritzing.org/

Something to keep your eye on, anyhow...

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona