[Coco] file manager

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:28:28 EST 2011

Thanks for the comments everybody!  Your help certaintly brought new
ideas (or at least reminders) for things that could/should be
incorporated into a file manager.  I've compiled a list, below, of
your suggestions, with my comments, thoughts, and ideas.

- sector read/write disk copy( or multiple sector copy ) dEd disk
  editing
cocoboot pretty much already does these things! (albiet in a
command-line fashion)

- os9 file manipulations
I wasn't planning on supporting the OS9 for the simple reason that os9
already, like Aaron said, supports many devices, and obviously
supports is own file system.

- rsdos file manip
- undelete, copying, renaming, moving, etc
I definately was thinking this would be a no-brainer!

- meta information about disk
Yup, I'm assuming there's some handy information one could glean from
the directory track (including the HDB volume label extensions)

- base64/text displaying of files
I wasn't going to shoot for file displaying, or editing, but I'll keep
the possiblilty of such in the back of my head for further thought.

- searching across disks for a file
I can see this being an extremely helpfull feature, specially with DW
or HDB partitions!

- file name globbing / wildcards
- color coding file extensions
These are always a good things.

- .bin/.bas loading.
I guess this is possible, although not high on the priority list
because of BASIC's ability to do this already!

Basically, disk handling is cocoboot's strong suite. And since the
DW,FD,HDB drivers have all been tested, and are working fairly good,
the CoCoBoot enviroment would make sense.  CoCoBoot is really meant to
be a glorified boot-loader (for ROM's, RAM's, Boot-Tracks, etc.), but
seems to be generally "big" enough to handle some real applications
(namely a file manager!)  CoCoBoot's 256 token barrier will be the
real test, as the basic boot loader uses ~180 tokens.

Sincerely,
Brett M. Gordon