[Coco] NistrOS-9 doesn't want to boot

Robert Hermanek rhermanek at centurytel.net
Sat Dec 10 10:12:01 EST 2011

I've got some chicken and egg problems here I think.  A while back I ordered NitrOS disks from Cloud9, didn't read the fine print much.  It looks like they are 40 track double sided disks, and I didn't confirm I had double sided drives before I got them.

It appears I have single sided drives, confirmed that with some POKE's from DECB to enable the second side if it exists, and had no luck.  My assumption is that I have double sided 40 track boot disks, but only single sided drives that currently (because of DECB) can only perform 35 track functions via HDB-DOS and drivewire.

At this point (since I don't have a PC with a 5 1/4 drive that could write directly to disks) it appears that if I want to create a set of NitrOS boot disks, I would need two single sided 35 track DSK images that I could mount via drivewire and copy onto physical single sided disks in HDB-DOS, after which I could boot using drive 0 and drive 1 as separate physical drives.

So... does anyone boot NitrOS with single sided 35 track disks?  Or does it simply "not fit" in such a confined space?

-Robert Hermanek