[Coco] Um3.init help needed

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Dec 10 21:47:34 EST 2011

On Saturday, December 10, 2011 09:21:22 PM Bill Pierce did opine:

> And here I was thinking you were refering to Ultimuse3 instead of Ubox3
> or I would have simply said it's "key command" oriented :-o Yep... no
> mice crawling in ubox3... An exellent player by the way. I used to use
> it to show of all my ume music unless I was really showing off to a
> musician friend then I'd use Ultimuse3 so I'd have all the staves on
> the screen and look all professional and stuff LMAO
>
> Bill Pierce
> ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Sorry 'bout that, I should have been clearer.  I don't seem to be able to
run Ultimuse3, I assume its out of memory system memory.  I don't believe I
can make a boot disk using drivewire, that leaves enough memory to run
Ultimuse3, I would have to leave sacia, t2.dd and probably 2 or 3 other
things which would severely cripple it for any other use than running
Umuse3 with drivewire.  Probably not impossible to do, so I may try.

I have spent some time playing with the mouse while studying my current
version of l51.defs, and I do not see any obvious mistakes.

The location of the mouse packet I am referring to can be easily seen as
its defined as being at $10EC in system ram, by vtiodefs_cc3, so if dmem
and dump are loaded into memory, a loop can be constructed to give an about
once per second update printout on screen, of the packet buffers contents.
According to that, my joydrv_6551L.sb is doing it right.

What puzzles me, is that the SS.Mouse call returns a $3C long buffer filled
with every conceivable item about the mouse, but so far I have failed to
find where in the SS.Mouse call, the translation between the 8 byte wide
buffer specified in vtiodefs_cc3, using Bruce Isteads byline as the
originator, and the $3C sized buffer that is returned by SS.Mouse and can
be accessed via varname,x in subsequent programs that use a mouse.

I did look at the src for SS.Mouse in 2008 when the question came up as I
was writing joydrv_6551L.asm, me asking me WTH? but that code and the $3C
buffers contents aren't even playing the same game. let alone in the same
ball park.  :(

I guess that is the price I pay for trying to fix Tandy's crap so it
actually works!

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.