[Coco] Coco Music

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Dec 8 09:21:56 EST 2011

Hi Allen, I may just do something like that soon. If you check the site, you'll see I've included a place for Musica as well as Bells & Whistles II. I too was blown away by BW2. Building unique waveforms was a blast. I disassembled his code and eventually made a sound recorder/editor that allowed you to assign volume envelopes to your own samples. It had 4 sound banks and a visual scope (Bill Barden's code I think) to view the waveform. I used it to load samples into my Casio SK-1 to play samples onstage when my band played Pink Floyd songs. Two I remember in particular were "Comfotably Numb" and "Welcome To The Machine". I was going to submit it to Rainbow, but about that time, the Coco3 was released and I bought a disk drive. I was using the upper ram above Basic as my sound buffer and DECB took that over. I still have the code and have been thinking of modifying it to work with OS9. I could use a hidden Hi-res screen as a buffer and us get/put to store/retrieve the data.
I would love to post some of those BW2 and Musica files you composed and I'll see if I can come up with some good ideas on a unique video for youtube. I have a Coco 3 coming to me in a couple of weeks so I'll have the real thing to play with once again. That will definately inspire me to pull out all the old music stuff I was working on. The emulators are nice but there are some limits on what they can do with sound.
I'm also thinking of doing a video of kind of a time-line thing on Coco music, from Orchestra 90 to UltiMusE3. :-)

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com