[Coco] Christmas Wish Device

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Thu Dec 8 00:19:49 EST 2011

In a message dated 12/7/2011 7:55:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rhermanek at centurytel.net writes:

>I don't think my thought comes across too clearly, maybe because it is
>impossible for some reasons I don't understand.  But I'm not  thinking of
the
>cart RAM as something the coco could access directly, as  in available to
>machine language instructions like "real" RAM   --instead it would be a
>device that needs to be controlled through i/o  registers like a stereo
pack,
>rs232 or anything else.  So in my  example:

Back in the stone age (the 80's)  I made myself a 1 meg
Ram cart that was controlled through registers mapped into
the upper page of the coco's memory map.   It worked by  mapping
a 256 byte page of the ram anywhere into the coco's memory map
you wanted it.   All I ever did with it was use it as a ram  drive.
I still have the old thing and it still works to boot.  Which is a  wonder
since I used point to point wiring using wire wrap wire to make  it.
It was fast compared to a real disk drive.  I think they did  something
similar for the old IBM XT .

Roy