[Coco] Utilmuse 3 Manual

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Dec 6 11:01:42 EST 2011

On Tuesday, December 06, 2011 10:25:17 AM Bill Pierce did opine:

> Ultimuse3 added very many features after v4. The list would be pretty
> big. Michael Knudson never added the midi record function and it was
> always just a sequencer/player. The 8.11 version should load your old
> files fine. You'll get a version warning but it loads. It would be best
> then to re-save in the new version. I used Umuse extensively for about
> 10 years for recording and live performance and saw it grow to probably
> the most stable midi software for the Coco. If you really need a midi
> recorder for the Coco, you can try finding "Coco Midi (2) (3) (Pro)"
> package by Lester Hands/Speech Systems. I haven't seen it in any of the
> archives but someone may have it. I would love to see it added to the
> archives. I have a 5 1/4 disk of "CoCo Midi Pro" somewhere but have no
> way of copying it as I have no coco or floppy drives (even on my PC). I
> never got to use it because I didn't have a midi interface (required)
> and my coco died about a month after I purchased the software. I was
> wai ting on a midi interface from Glenside UG but something happened to
> the project and they never finished it. I use midi extensively in my
> home studio on my PC still, to control about half my outboard FX gear
> and to compose/sequence backing tracks for singers and solo musicians.
> The capabilities of midi equipment and software these days is amazing.

But it never got away from that slow interface that was basically a current
loop.  31250 baud precludes getting the note synchronization that folks
like Ralph and Fons A. argue about annually on the l.a.d. list, and which I
could hear even on keyboards of limited polyphony when being druiven within
those limits.  Sort of a Floyd Crammer effect but much faster.  Perhaps the
pro stuff now uses a master clock byte that has been added to the protocol?
I don't hear that from a midi drum kit, or perhaps the drummer
subconsciously compensates?  Dunno.  My experience at that is somewhat
limited to listening to a local band a few friends of mine are, jamming on
Friday nights to get their fingers loosened up for Saturday nights when one
of more of them probably have a gig in a local club.  The fellow I gave my
chair and keys to at the tv station when I tried to retire is one of them,
plays a mean bass for instance, and is usually busy picking someplace on
Saturday nights, getting scale or better.  Friday night is his night to jam
and do serious damage to a 12 pack.  The IT guy at the tv station usually
picks guitar, a solid body he built and which was signed by Jimmy Johnson.
Yeah, _that_ Jimmy Johnson. His home town is 30 miles north of here. These
guys can 'make a noise' as good as what you might hear in Nashville on an
off night.

The competition between Mike and Lester was legendary in the day, even
leading to text messages hidden in the code.  But I suppose you knew that.
:)

> Bill Pierce
> ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it."
-- Mark Twain