[Coco] ANNOUNCE: Cloud-9 Website Update

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 26 03:30:43 EDT 2011

On 26/08/2011 11:58 AM, Mark McDougall wrote:

> Only high-end (usually full frame) DSLR cameras use CF.
>
> CF is still faster than SD due to its parallel bus, which is
> more-or-less an ATA bus. High-end cameras have larger sensors which
> require more storage, hence the higher throughput requirement in order
> to support multi-frames-per-second shooting.
>
> I also believe that embedded PCs tend to include CF slots (as opposed
> to SD) for booting media from SSD, though that may be because it's
> easier to interface to existing chipsets?!? FWIW our last product -
> essentially an embedded PC platform - has CF, CFast (see below) but no
> SD.
>
> The CF form factor now has a serial bus version, called C-Fast, but I
> think the jury is still out on that with regards to whether it will
> make a dent in the market place.
>
> Regards,

I use CF cards in True IDE mode simply because the interface is
relatively simple to understand and they are relatively easy to
interface. IDE mode is just a matter of setting up the sector address
and head and so on, issuing a read or write sector command, polling the
status register and reading or writing the data register. It's not
unlike reading a floppy disk controller.

You can quite easily get CF to IDE adapter cards which use the standard
40 pin IDC connector with 0.1" pin spacing which is easier to interface
to. The IDE registers simply map into the CPU memory space.

To operate CF in true IDE mode, the CF card has to be powered up with
one of the input pins held low. This means that on a CF IDE interface
board there should really be a FET switch on the supply rail so that the
CF card is not powered up unless it has been plugged into the socket.
Many of the cheaper IDE / CF adapter cards do not have that feature so
do not support hot change over. i.e. you have to power down the adapter,
inserting the new CF card then power it up again.

The advantage also of using IDE is that you can also interface to an old
IDE hard disk. IDE hard disks tend to use 5V logic levels and the I/O
pins of an FPGA normally operate at 3.3V so to interface to 5V logic you
have to have series current limiting resistors and the FPGA has to have
diode clamps on the input pins so as not to damage the FPGA.

I'd use SD cards if I knew a bit more about how the internal registers
worked. The description of the SD card registers from my reading some
years ago used register names that I was unfamiliar with and seemed
complicated than the IDE interface. I couldn't find a good description
of how they worked. SD cards seemed to support a number of different
serial protocols such as SPI and I2C and also nybble protocols. You'd
need some sort of SPI or I2C interface chip to interface to the CoCo, or
else bit back an I/O port. They'd be a bit slower to talk to but I don't
think that is a big problem for the CoCo.

The Altera DE1 & DE2 FPGA boards do have a socket for a SD card on the
board. They also have two parallel expansion sockets, which could be
used to interface to IDE. The Spartan 3 starter board also has expansion
connectors that can be used to interface to IDE. The difficulty is that
you need some sort of adapter board to transposing the pins of the FPGA
board connector to line up with the IDE connector. Some FPGA boards such
as the XESS XST-4.0 carrier board do have IDE expansion sockets on them
which makes it much easy to interface to IDE disks.

To use SATA you need to use a fairly high end FPGA that supports the
high speed serial rocket (?) I/O. SATA runs at 3 to 6 Gbps. Such FPGAs
have tended to be outside the price range that I can afford. I believe
Rocket I/O supports a variety of high speed serial interfaces such as
SATA, PCIe, GigE, SDI and so on. I'm not sure what is required in terms
of development software to use Rocket I/O. You can get SATA to IDE
adapters which might be an easier way to interface a SATA drive to a
FPGA board or CoCo.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au