[Coco] ANNOUNCE: Cloud-9 Website Update

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 25 21:58:18 EDT 2011

On 26/08/2011 7:23 AM, Frank Pittel wrote:

> My camera (Canon 30D) uses CF cards and to my knowledge most SLR type
> digital cameras use them.

Only high-end (usually full frame) DSLR cameras use CF.

CF is still faster than SD due to its parallel bus, which is more-or-less an
ATA bus. High-end cameras have larger sensors which require more storage,
hence the higher throughput requirement in order to support
multi-frames-per-second shooting.

I also believe that embedded PCs tend to include CF slots (as opposed to SD)
for booting media from SSD, though that may be because it's easier to
interface to existing chipsets?!? FWIW our last product - essentially an
embedded PC platform - has CF, CFast (see below) but no SD.

The CF form factor now has a serial bus version, called C-Fast, but I think
the jury is still out on that with regards to whether it will make a dent in
the market place.

Regards,