[Coco] ANNOUNCE: Cloud-9 Website Update

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Aug 25 16:28:23 EDT 2011

On Aug 25, 2011, at 3:15 PM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:

> As I understand it CF cards are or can be faster then SD cards. Which for an application like
> primary storage for the Coco is a potential advantage. I have fat fingers and the physically
> bigger CF cards are easier for me to handle.

Yes, but clearly a format that is on its way out -- can you name any consumer item that uses CF? I have never owned anything that uses CF other than my SuperIDE. None of my memory card readers (or even my multi printer) read CFs (my old printer form several years ago had a CF slot).

That's all I'm saying. We tend to back dying technologies -- like supporting XT keyboards when AT became standard, then finally getting AT when USB takes over, etc.

I'd love to see something like a game ROM pak that had two SD slots, so I could easily back up cards and such.

However, my future is probably going to be "good enough" using Drivewire and one of the mini sub-$100 embedded lInux machines with an SD slot. Pretty slick when I finally get around to hooking up mine and trying it out (just slower).

		-- A