[Coco] 6821 PIA Chip Bad?

Eric Keppel keppel at earthsounds.com
Wed Apr 27 16:07:14 EDT 2011

Thank you.  Yes, that is exactly the same situation here.  Different
symptoms when I switch the chips between sockets and when I cool the hot
chip with a small heat sink, it works just fine (except for flaky
graphics) and the machine actually stays running.

I will replace the bad 6821 with a new one and hopefully this beat up
machine will be salvageable to some extent.  The computer was actually
destined to become a wall 'decoration' for my office since it was the
exact model of my very first computer when I was about 7 years old.  16K
Coco 1 with the litte 16K badge and left justified trs-80 label.  Now
this one is too ugly to put on the wall, so I would rather get it
running and at least have some fun with it. :)

Thanks for the advice,
Eric