[Coco] A bit OT Why 3-D is worth waiting bit longer. was:Game Developers Wanted

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Tue Apr 26 13:04:45 EDT 2011

On 4/26/2011 7:09 AM, RJLCyberPunk wrote:
> I'd love to see Ghana Bwana in 3D Steve! :D

Last time I check, Ghana Bwana was a 3D game. (I know, not the 3-D you
are talking about.)

As your may not know, I've written may 3-D Games.  But, Warp Fighter 3-D
for the CoCo is the only one that ever hit the market.

This is why....

To get 3-D you must have was two images, one for each eye.  For a long
time, the only way to get 3-D in the home was to use the two color
glasses.  (As with Warp Fighter 3-D.)  As you know this technology is
far from perfect.

As displays got smaller and cheaper, you could put an display in front
of each eye.  SEGA used this type of system for their virtual reality
headset called SEGA VR.  The 3-D did work, but some tester did complain
of headaches and motion sickness and why it never came to market.
Nintendo try their hand 3-D with VR Gameboy it was one of their biggest
flops.   So far, 3-D gaming is not going well.  (I had titles for both
systems that never saw the light of day.)

About the same time Kodak and Disney teamed up to create a new 3-D for
the Disney parks using Polarized 3D glasses and two images projected on
the same screen.  Since each image was Polarized to match a filter (and
an eye), the viewer will see a 3-D image.  This passive type of 3-D is
how your neighborhood theater shows 3-D films.

Now, most current 3D TV used an active type of 3-D glasses system.  The
glasses use LCD to block an eye from seeing the image.  Then, the TV
will show each image only while that eye is not blocked.  This sometimes
causes a flicker effect and give some people headaches.  Also, LCD based
TV have very slow response time (refresh) so you get a bit of ghosting.
(DPL and Plasma systems make better 3-D displays.) The other problem
with active 3-D glasses is the price of $100 to $200 for just one pair.
(Some TV manufactures are working passive 3-D glasses system that only
cost $10 per pair.)

How good are these 3-D home system? Fair at best.  The current HI-DEF
standard was only design for 2-D and needs beefing up to handle 3-D TV.
Blu-ray disk are the only media that works (sorta) for 3-D.  A new
standard with a higher bandwidth is needed to make 3-D work.

The are movies in production that are using 5k cameras.  (That's 5,000
pixels across.)  Only a five years ago, the top digital movies cameras
where only 2k.  But to get 3-D to the point it looks real (like watching
a live play) you need to boost the frame rate.  Right now, Peter Jackson
is filming the Hobbit movie at 48 Frames Per Second for the best 3-D on
film yet.  (Double the normal frame rate.)

I've seen IMAX movies shown at 48 frames per second and they pull you
into the action.  This system is used in Disney Parks' Soaring over
California ride.  (It's main reason why it's on the top of everyone's
much ride list.)

So where does that leave 3-D for you?   Well, getting 3-D on your home
TV is not something I would NOT pay extra for.  (I would not pay an
extra $200 per viewer for the 3-D glasses.)  Really good 3-D in the home
is still years away.

Remember, the marketing guys are using 3-D to buy their stuff.  At CES,
a smart-phone manufacture talk about their new 3-D but would not show it
off.  When it did come out, all it was a standard smart-phone with
red/blue glasses that make look like a dork.

As I said, they are pushing 3-D to get you to toss your perfectly good
stuff and buy their crap.

Hey, Nintendo got their new no-glasses 3-D game system, the 3DS. I
played it, till I got a headache.

Steve (Warp Fighter 3-D) Bjork