[Coco] Help wanted

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:20:41 EDT 2011

Thanks.  If it weren't for the work you did on the original DriveWire
from Cloud9, I doubt I would even be part of the CoCo community today.
 The fact that it was available, easy to use and free is a big part of
what got me back into the CoCo.  I still to this day have never owned
a real floppy drive, so DW opened up a whole world of things that I
had spent many hours reading about and wishing for as a kid :)

I do appreciate the kudos, that wasn't the goal of my post.  There are
some features that folks have asked about (and that I think are really
cool) but that are just outside my technical grasp for now.  For
instance.. adding virtual channel support to BASIC.   We could easily
make it possible to write a web server, a web client, real networked
games.. all sort of internet stuff right in good old DECB.  Even
something as simple as using web pages as the output for a BASIC
program instead of the CoCo screen in an otherwise normal program
could be useful.
The server has the functionality, the DW ROM has the I/O routines, all
that is missing are a couple BASIC commands to send and receive the
strings.  And yet I've been beating my head against how to exactly do
that for several days.  I know it can be done, even have some idea of
how to do it, but it's just so far outside of what I have experience
with that things are moving at a glacial pace.

I'm really just hoping that some of the experts here will check the
"Help Wanted" page next time they are bored and looking for something
to do.

-Aaron