[Coco] Software testing for FDC emulator

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Mon Apr 25 00:56:28 EDT 2011

I'm not sure about other FDC emulators, but my unit will work any
software that design to talk to the Western Digital controller used on
the CoCo.  It will translate the CoCo I/O lines to the FDC and feed back
the data from the SD card.  This will looks and feels just like there is
a WD Floppy disk control and floppy drive contacted to the coco.

The only problem will be emulating non-standard floppy formats.  But all
standard and non-standard formats that I've use in the past are working
so far.  My plan is to use a re-programmable micro-controller so it can
be updated in the field to handle unknown formats as they are found.

Since we don't have spinning disk there are not real timing issues.
(Well there is the write speed limit, but that's easy to work around.)

Let me state that my design is not ready for market.  (Not even ready to
show as a demo.)  It great that there are other designs being worked
on.  If the other designs are better or make it to market fast, so much
the better for the CoCo community.

While I will do my best in my design, but I hope Darren's design is
better than mine.  After all, we want the best for the CoCo.

Steve Bjork