[Coco] Software testing for FDC emulator

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Apr 20 11:19:50 EDT 2011

Darren A wrote:

> That's interesting. It sounds exactly like the results I am seeing
> with the FDC emulator.  I had tested the images (from Briza's
> collection) in VCC and MESS .129b and they did work. I then created
> floppy disks from the images and found that they also worked on real
> hardware.
>
> I think I am going to need a version of MESS which has the debugger
> features enabled.  Does anyone have a pre-built binary for this (for
> use on Win XP)?
>
> Darren

MESS .129b should have the debugger ready to go.
Start MESSUI.EXE
Select Color Computer3(NTSC) emulation with a right click to bring up a "drop down panel"
and select Properties.
Click on the Debug panel and check Activate Integrated Debugger.

With the game package I have, you start the game with a LOADM"LINK", a self executing
binary. If you want to debug this program which executes at $E08, you will need to set
that as a break point in the MESS debugger:    bp E08   .
With the break point set, exit the debugger and do the LOADM. The debugger will start as
soon as the program is loaded.

I don't see anything wrong with the code after a brief look. It will run correctly with
several emulators but fails with recent MESS versions. That should mean that emulation is
failing with the GIME VOFFSET registers, HOFFSET registers, or something similar.
The main problem with DW3 (the version I have) is no support for .dmk formatted disk images.