[Coco] Software testing for FDC emulator

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Wed Apr 20 08:20:49 EDT 2011

Darren A wrote:

> Yes.  I am looking for either copy-protected programs or programs that
> don't work with DriveWire and CoCoNet because they interface directly
> with the FDC instead of using the DSKCON routine.
>
> So far I have verified that GoldRunner 2000, Z89 and Sands of Egypt
> all work with the FDC emulator.  I am having some difficulty solving
> problems with The Seventh Link and Caladuril 2. They both load, but
> the graphics are shifted horizontally on the screen and the sound is
> garbled.
>
> Darren

Where did you get your copy of The Seventh Link? The one I tested was from from Briza's
collection and the results are puzzling.

The game displays correctly with VCC. It displays correctly with MESS .134b but not more
recent versions. With newer MESS versions the left edge of the screen was moved about 1/3
to the right and the right side folded over on the left. I think that's what you see.

The game can't be started with DW3 because the disk image can't be read. The image is a
DMK type even though it is labeled .dsk and DW3 (my copy at least) won't read .dmk disks.

Is there a more recent version of DW3 that reads .dmk images?

Robert