[Coco] .lzh files in os9

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:24:06 EDT 2011

Ok, good you've got file transfer working.  To unpack on coco, you
need the lha program.  The easiest way to get that is probably from
the "dw4 extras" disk, which has lots of handy commonly needed
utilities on it.

To mount the extras disk, you can enter a command like:

dw disk insert 1 https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/beta/dw4_extras.dsk

(or you can just paste the URL above into the Disk 1 URI field in the
GUI and hit apply)

which will put the extras disk in drive /X1.  You can then either copy
the utilities you like from /x1/cmds to /dd/cmds (making them part of
your system disk) or you could just change your execution directory to
point to the extras disk.  this leaves your own system disk unchanged
and gives access to the commands on the extras disk until you change
the execution dir again.  so...

either copy lha to your own disk:

copy /x1/lha /dd/lha
copy /x1/xlh /dd/xlh

(lha needs those 2 files)

OR, tell os9 to temporarily use /x1/cmds as its execution directory:

chx /x1/cmds

now you have the lha command, which you can use to unpack your file:

lha x solitaire.lzh

(you might want to move solitaire.lzh into a sub directory before
unpacking, os9 archives don't always create their own dir when
unpacking so you could end up spreading pieces of solitaire all over
the root of /dd)

There are lots of other handy utils on the extras disk, you might want
to copy others or just keep it around and chx as needed.   by mounting
via the URL you're sure to get the latest version every time you
insert it.

By the way, you can put files directly from the internet or your PC to
a real floppy, they don't have to go to a drivewire disk image at
all.. for instance:

dw server list c:/os9/solitaire.lzh > /d0/solitaire.lzh

would put it on floppy in drive 0 directly.

also, for dealing with these long commands containing URLs and file
paths, its way easier to be using telnet to an OS9 shell and
copy/pasting rather than trying to  type them all out on the CoCo
keyboard.  not sure if you have inetd running and set up for telnet,
if not let me know and I'll help you do that, makes life in OS9 even
easier.

good luck
-Aaron