[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Sep 18 19:13:01 EDT 2010

At 03:38 PM 9/18/2010, you wrote:
>On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 14:29 -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> > At 09:18 AM 9/18/2010, you wrote:
> > >I'm just going to throw my two cents on this fire, so ignore where
> > >appropriate.
>
>A few of my (unwanted?) thoughts here.  I've always liked Roger's work
>in his IDEs.
>
>If he wants to go cross-platform and likes the .NET platform, he might
>want to seriously consider using Mono.  (Myself, I've finally gotten rid
>of my last .NET program.  I find it very unstable, and like Gene, I'm
>concerned about it's future dealings with Microsoft.)  Of course, in my
>little perfect world, I'd like to see his IDE open sourced, too.  ;)

Manny, I haven't seen a more stable Windows scheme yet than the .NET
framework.  They're at 4.0 now so if you're talking about bugs in 2.0
or even 3.0, ya might want to take another look.

The Windows API is sprinkled with bugs and inconsistencies, all
documented and rarely fixed by MS.  If they fixed the bugs then
thousands of older programs would be broken.  :)

>To the people that are complaining about it not being cross-platform, go
>do something about it.  Make a competing product that can do what his
>IDE can do and more.

If you DO make a product that someone thinks is competing with
theirs, God Forbid you do that, luckily you live in America where we
have free enterprise.  Having said that, I still have never found
anything to compete against.  I love creating original
stuff.  Unfortunately, the CoCo can only do so much, so eventually 5
people would have reinvented the same wheel without even knowing
it.  Half of the fun is doing the work yourself and seeing it run.

>   If you don't have the experience, see if you can
>find someone willing to give it a shot and help support them in any way
>possible.  Competition can help our product become better, keeps our
>group thriving and keeps things interesting.
>
>Speaking of competition, Roger and Boisy seriously need to hash out
>their differences via email.  If Roger actually owes something and Boisy
>can prove it, then that needs to be settled.

I'm thinking about just throwing $30 his way just to shut him
up.  :)  All kidding aside, I have e-mails dating back to 2002 that I
don't believe Boisy wants me to bring out, but I will if we start
getting amnesia about who's been using who's stuff.  There was a time
when we exchanged ideas by e-mail and chatted about each other's
stuff but that was before either was really a spec on the map and I
doubt either one of us had anything evil planned.  This has become
the most silliest and ongoing accusation I have ever had to deal
with.  No - the only accusation.

>   They also need to work out
>what Boisy has accused Roger of doing in a previous post.  If they can't
>come to a compromise or understanding, then maybe a third party that
>both of them trust should help moderate.  These type of things need to
>be resolved (privately?) for the general health and well-being of the
>group.  They cause distrust and anger to form in the small group of us
>left.  It almost looks like nothing has changed since a few years ago
>when I left the mailing list.
>
>Anyhoo, take this as my "OMG, look what I've come back to!!!!!!!
>11111oneone" post.  Hope this find everyone in good spirits and health.

The funny thing is - we were talking about what platforms the Phoenix
IDE could run on, and then out of the blue...  Bam.  Got me again.

Maybe I should just leave this mailing list since I am unable to chat in peace.

--
~ Roger Taylor