[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Sep 18 11:01:53 EDT 2010

On Saturday, September 18, 2010 10:41:09 am Andrew did opine:

> I'm just going to throw my two cents on this fire, so ignore where
> appropriate.
>
> First off, I want to say thanks to Roger, Cloud-9, and anybody else who
> has helped to keep the CoCo alive for far longer than I ever expected; I
> started out with my CoCo 2 when I was 10 years old; here I am 27 years
> later, somehow. I may not have my CoCo "up and running" at this moment,
> but someday I'll bring it back on-line again.
>
> Now, Roger, I know in the past I have asked you about porting the
> Rainbow IDE to Linux, etc - I won't rehash that with Phoenix. While it
> would've been nice to see something done in a more cross-platform manner
> (wxWindows/wxWidgets and GCC, perhaps? Or Java?), it is what it is, and
> your choice, ultimately.
>
> What I don't want to see, though, is a future date where, should
> development on these platforms need or want to be done, it can't because
> the software only runs on a version of Windows that is no longer
> supported, and may not even run on the hardware of that future date
> (because perhaps the hardware isn't even based on 80x86). Of course,
> maybe I am worrying for nothing; perhaps at that time nobody will be
> around to care, much like there aren't many today crying in their beer
> over not being able to run their IBM/360 code or something like that...
>
> I do wish I had some way to do CoCo development on my Linux box;

Ah, but we do, and I have used it for a while now, its called toolshed.
Works well, could use more docs, but it works.  Its docs are in the form of
a .pdf manual of about 20 some pages.  That, the mamou assembler, and your
fav linux editor and you are 2 minutes (on this machine anyway) from
closing the editor to having a loadable .dsk image, or a loadable module
built that you can sz to the coco and make into a new boot disk with the mb
scripts in the nitros9 distribution.  I usually do the latter using sz.

If you go to my web page, there are links to the nitros9 I have here, or it
can be pulled from sourceforge too.
<http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nitros9/index.php?title=Main_Page>
<http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene>
The only diff (I think) is that the serial mouse driver on my pages is
newer.  I worked on that some about a year back.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)