[Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 00:54:28 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Tony Cappellini <cappy2112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:22:48 -0500
> From: Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] Software offer and Drive Pak solution
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>

>>>Using .NET and Windows wasn't my idea so you would have to buy Windows.
>
> There are plenty of open source languages and GUI frameworks out there that
> would
> have enabled your product to be in the hands of many more users had you
> chosen to go that way.
> You've restricted the marketshare and alienated users of non Microsoft OS's
> with the decision to use .NET.

If this was a user oriented project I would agree, but developers are
fairly used to having restrictions on the development environment,
sometimes including the operating system.  It's not uncommon to have a
few different OSes involved in any given project.
Cross platform support is nice, but I don't think its a deal breaker
for someone seriously interested in using the tool for development.