[Coco] cartridge edtasm image for vcc

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Sep 1 09:54:11 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 08:01:25PM -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've been working on a program downloads data from a datalogger via the bitbanger
> > and then processes it. It's not a huge amount of data but enough that I will
> > need to page switch the memory and currently my best attempts have been very good
> > at hanging the emulator! :-)
> >
> > That results in me having to reload the goofy edtasm dos and restarting edtasm and
> > finally reloading my source file. I remember back in the day when using the cartridge
> > version of edtasm that it's an autostart cart and all I would need to do is reset the
> > emulator and then reload the "tape" version. In either case the disk or tape image is
> > really just a disk file and while still slower then "disk" the small files I'll be
> > anyone but myself?
>
> You might find MESS useful here.   It has a debugger that lets you
> halt, step through instructions, inspect/edit multiple memory areas at
> the same time, set breakpoints, view registers, etc.  It's very nice
> for debugging tricky code.  You can also save/restore the machine
> state an any point.

While you are at it, you should consider switching to mamou(*) for your
assembler.  Then you could use sane tools on your modern system to
edit/manage your sources, etc.  A little Makefile magic could build
your code and generate disk images automatically for you.  Then you
just load your code from disk in the emulator to test w/o having to
deal w/ 30 year old tools on the target.

Just a thought... :-)

John

* Mamou is a good choice because it understands the RSDOS BIN format
already.  There are also any number of other "absolute" assemblers for
the 6809 that can be pressed into service.  In that case you either
add the BIN format header and footer yourself or in most cases you can
'trick' the assembler into doing that work for you -- ask me how! :-)