[Coco] Documentation of "complex" artifacting (i.e. more than black/white/blue/red)?

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Sat Sep 25 15:12:33 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 05:05:41PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> Are there any articles in Rainbow or similar CoCo-oriented publications
> that documented use of "complex" artifacting for producing additional
> colors (e.g. purple, green, etc) with a CoCo?  Can anyone refer me
> to one?

I suppose it is bad form to reply to oneself, but at least if I
reply in this thread then I am more likely to be able to find this
information when I need it again. :-)

"`Repainting' a PMODE4 Rainbow" by David King in the October 1983
issue of Rainbow provides a discussion of this.  To my disappointment,
it still doesn't provide a particularly satisfying theoretical or
technical explanation of how the complex (i.e. wider than 2-bits)
patterns generate extra colors (beyond the red/orange and blue we
know so well).  But, it does document some patterns and provides a
basis for experimentation for anyone so inclined.

The article does suggest two other contemporary articles for the
technical-minded folks.  I was able to find one of them ("APPLE-II
Hi-Res Graphics: Resolving The Resolution Myth") here:

	http://bob-bishop.awardspace.com/Resolution/index.html

I have yet to find the other one ("A Simplified Theory of Video
Graphics, Part 2": Byte, December 1980).  If anyone has it available,
I'd love to see it.

John