[Coco] dir options on coco

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Sun Nov 28 21:31:38 EST 2010

As others have noted, there is no such pause option available under
RS-BASIC.  However, I do recall that
it is possible with a poke to knock out the carriage return that follows
each directory entry, with the result that on the 32-column screen, the
directory entries come out in two columns, making it much less likely that
the one you want to see has scrolled offscreen before you can read it, since
twice as many entries are shown on a single screen.  (On a CoCo 1 or 2,
you'd need to copy ROM to RAM before using the poke.)  Using shift-@ to
pause is also an option, but you'd have to be pretty fast on the draw to get
the pause to occur where you want it.
I think you can also use POKE 111, 254:DIR to make the directory go to the
printer, if that helps.

Art