[Coco] How much memory

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Sun Nov 28 17:30:31 EST 2010

On 10-11-28 12:36 PM, Wayne Campbell wrote:
> Just to throw out a couple of things I thought about. I remember
> wondering why we were stuck with a 64K barrier when DOS (running on a
> 8-bit 8086/8088) was able to access 640K of continuous RAM. That's 10
> times as much. I know DOS used tricks to achieve it, but the computers
> were not slowed down by these "tricks" at all. Nor were they slowed down
> when Extended and Enhanced memory were introduced. Is there a reason
> DECB/SECB and/or OS-9 could not be made to do that?

FYI, the 8086 is a 16 bit CPU. The 8088 is an 8086 with an 8 bit data
bus. Essentially.

The 8086/8088 CPUs have a *20 bit* address bus. The 6809 has a *16 bit*
address bus. That's the entire difference, right there. The trick you're
thinking of is in the CPU design, not DOS: segmentation. The segment
register contains the upper 16 bits of the physical address while the
pointer register (including the "program counter) contains the lower 16
bits. Yes, there is a 12 bit overlap. Thus, "near" and "far" pointers,
and a whole host of other complications that come with it. But what it
comes down to is that the 8086 can *directly* address more than 64K
while the 6809 cannot.

Extended memory leveraged the 32 bit address bus of the 80386 and the 32
bit protected mode in the processor. I believe enhanced memory was
different but I never had to deal with it so I don't know for sure.

Anyway, my point is that it was CPU limitations that dictated the memory
size, not operating system limitations. Because the Intel chips had at
least a 20 bit address bus, more memory was, therefore, accessible
directly, thus providing a larger address space for individual programs.

OS9 level II (Coco 3) allocates memory in 8K chunks into 64K address
spaces, not every address space being fully allocated nor even being
contiguous in physical memory. Each process (not window) gets a 64K
address space and the system itself gets a 64K address space.

No matter how you slice it, to access more than 64K on a 6809, you need
fairly complex coding contortions that are not hidden from the
individual processes. On the 8086, no such contortions were needed for
"near" processes (less than 64K or one "segment") and less visible means
were needed for "far" processes, but needed nonetheless. For programs
running in 386 protected mode, direct access to 4GB is theoretically
achievable.