[Coco] How much memory

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 14:36:48 EST 2010

Just to throw out a couple of things I thought about. I remember wondering
why we were stuck with a 64K barrier when DOS (running on a 8-bit 8086/8088)
was able to access 640K of continuous RAM. That's 10 times as much. I know
DOS used tricks to achieve it, but the computers were not slowed down by
these "tricks" at all. Nor were they slowed down when Extended and Enhanced
memory were introduced. Is there a reason DECB/SECB and/or OS-9 could not be
made to do that?

As for OS-9, as I recall, the memory was allocated in 64K chunks per window
(on CoCo3), all one chunk on a CoCo2 (I never had a CoCo1, so I don't know
if it was ever expanded to 64K). The "system page" in OS-9 used 1 64K chunk,
and when the system was loaded you had ~32Kof available space in that chunk
for loading more modules. Each hardware window is allocated a 64K chunk.
After the system modules for that space are loaded, you have about 40K of
space left in that chunk. While this may be plenty for a program written in
ASM/RMA, it can run out quickly when programming in Basic09, C or Pascal,
especially when you are writing an application (as opposed to a utility
program). This is true especially when you are learning to program.

DCom, as it started out, was larger than 40K total, and I had to break it
into separate parts that would be loaded "in turn" as each step occurred.
Having worked on trying to finish it, I discovered that I had written it
very badly, even if it was "everything I knew about programming". However,
this does not mean that the program would be necessarily small enough to run
in 40K of space even in the form of unpack (it's replacement) when it is
finished. I started running into that wall with unpack and with decode (the
test program) as well. I learned that I needed to sacrifice comment lines if
I was going to make everything fit, and then my code might not be so
readable. Replacing cryptic variable names with longer descriptive names
didn't help either. I sinply used up the extra space with the longer names.

I always felt like it would be nice to be able to write a program as a 60K
app, if that's what it took, and then start whittling it down to see how
small I could make it. Of course, that never happened, and decode and unpack
are, as yet, unfinished.

I realize that with the new FPGA-based CoCo4 design, memory will be dealt
with differently. However, I think OS-9 and DECB/SECB will still have to be
modified to deal with the extra memory, if any part of the plan includes
being able to access more than 64K per window.

Wayne