[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 15:49:41 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Jorge Renato Machin Ibarra
<jorge_machin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am one of the few persons who don't want a new coco 4 as a "new kind of beast" because the machines I love are the original color computers. What I want it's a modern way to develop new programs for my old color computers or an easy way to play my old games. So this is my wish list:

I see that Frank has suggested an emulator and a Windows based IDE
would satisfy your wish list.  I think the CoCo3FPGA actually is a
better match, as it does many items on the list right now and will do
even more in the near future, including some that an emulator can
never fullfill.

> 1. A modern text editor in DECB.

If by "in DECB" you mean on the CoCo, while in BASIC.. there is
nothing currently in an FPGA or emulator that address this.  However,
since DriveWire is built in to CoCo3FPGA, you can very easily edit
programs with any text editor on the PC, including the new IDE from
Roger.

> 2. A modern file manager.

I'm not sure what this means.. but I'm interested to find out.  Could
you elaborate?

> 3. A modern ROM manager. Just select your rom and run it. The ROM manager could have screenshots like the wii or  the nintendo DSi .

This is coming soon to CoCo3FPGA

> 4. A modern BASIC language compatible with the DECB. Just like Borland's Turbo Basic could compile GWBasic Programs and write new programs without line numbers. It would be great if you can compile the modern programs in machine language and run them in an old color computer.

If you skip the "compatible with DECB" (which frankly, no language
that doesn't require line numbers could possibly be) then you may find
that Basic09 is right up your alley.

> 5. A very high speed mode.

FPGA has it now

> 6. Include a Serial Pak.

The serial port on the FPGA is currently used for DriveWire, which in
turn gives you 16 virtual serial ports.  These can be used for many
things you'd normally do with a serial pak (and lots of things you
could not do with a serial pak).  Maybe fits your needs, maybe not.

> 7. Include Music and Voice Paks emulators.

The FPGA has an Orchestra 90 now.  Not sure if speech sound pak would
be possible or is planned.

> 8. Use memory cards or usb memory cards.

The FPGA has an SD card slot built into the board.  Currently it is
not being used, but I believe this is something that could/will be
added at some point.

> 9. Compatible with Color Computer 2 and 3.

FPGA has this now

> 10. No windows/linux needed. Just turn on the device and see my beloved green screen.

FPGA has this now
> 11. Use modern display, keyboards and mices. It would be great If the coco 4 could have his own screen as an option.

FPGA has this now
> 12. A web browser mode to let me browse internet and download programs from Internet.

FPGA can let you download programs from the internet using DriveWire.
"Browse the internet" as it's usually meant (rendering HTML) is not
possible, and frankly will probably never be practical or pleasant
enough that you'd want to do it.  On the other hand, you can use
telnet to access internet BBSes, ftp to transfer files, and send
emails.  IRC and Twitter clients are "coming someday".

-Aaron