[Coco] How much memory

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Sat Nov 27 15:43:46 EST 2010

I have to say... when we used the Coco at work (or even when developing NitrOS9), we regularily used >512K. If you are running multiple large programs (or with large memory spaces), and a fair number of graphics windows (which are 16 or 32K each by themselves), then you can run out of RAM pretty quick. I don't think we used >1 MB of RAM too often, but 512K we ran out of a lot until we upgraded. If I remember correctly, you can have up to 16 screens defined, with up to 32 windows (kept track of in the GRFDRV memory map), while with process descriptors you were limited to how many you could fit into system RAM with the amount of room left in the 64K system process space, which depended on the size of your bootfile,etc. For that reason, I would go with option 1 as well. Nitros9 was ideally set up for up to 2 MB of RAM that could be used for loading modules, processes, graphics, fonts, etc., and anything past that would be a RAM drive (like Paul Barton's 8 MB upgrade).
Also, if Chris Dekker's extensions to GRFDRV for doing horizontal scrolling, etc. ever got fully implemented in Nitros9, you may need more than 32K per screen as well.

Wish I had time to do development again... maybe someday.

L. Curtis Boyle
curtisboyle at sasktel.net