[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 14:53:30 EST 2010

I've been reading this thread with much enthusiasm. I would like to see a
CoCo4 come about. The issue of compatability, as well as functionality, has
been a hot topic. In it all, the recurring idea is that the resulting
hardware and software must as closely approximate the CoCo experience as
possible.

I don't know anything about hardware design, so my comments there are
minimal. If it is possible, I think a combination of hardware and software
is the way to go. Again, I don't know anything, but this is my thought. Make
the hardware CoCo3/4, and emulate the CoCo1/2 with software. This way all
the odd graphics modes could be emulated, even the obscure one. Again, I
don't know what is possible, other than what I've seen in the way of
computer evolution. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that CGA/EGA
graphics are emulatable on a PC, even if those modes are no longer built-in
to the hardware. If that is true, then the CoCo1/2 graphics modes should be
emulatable on a CoCo3/4 (perhaps more on a 4 than a 3?).

If most of the software being run on a CoCo1/2 is in ROM packs, then perhaps
a dedicated slot for those could be included. As much as I loved my old CoCo
(the 2 and the 3 that I had), I do not miss the MPI having to be screwed to
the computer case to prevent it moving. Nor do I miss having to plug and
unplug ROM packs. For some of us, that alone is the defining element of the
CoCo experience... "It wouldn't be the same if I didn't have to swap game
packs." For me, it would be the same, so long as the programs run the same
way they did on the original CoCos, and use the original CoCo's peripherals
(joysticks, mouse, etc.) (I play some old NES games online, since I no
longer have my old NES game system. Although I'm playing them on my XP
notebook, the look and feel of the games is the same as on the NES, with the
exception that I am not using an original NES controller. The only part I
miss is being able to move the joystick faster than I can manipulate the
keys on my keyboard.)

As for the monitors, I agree a modern flatscreen is the way to go. I don't
see the CM-8 being useful, since CRT technology is almost gone now, and
being able to refurbish (or even build new) CM-8 monitors is becoming too
costly.

My uneducated 2 cents.

Wayne