[Coco] Seeking: ECB ROM chip

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Wed Nov 24 13:08:28 EST 2010

On 11/24/2010 12:40 PM, Tony Cappellini wrote:
> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:51:21 -0500
> From: Roger Merchberger<zmerch-coco at 30below.com>
> Subject: Re: [Coco] Seeking: ECB ROM chip
> To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts<coco at maltedmedia.com>
>>> to figure out a decent "sneakernet" as my new PC has no floppy, but DOS
>>> doesn't use USB devices without a *lot* of heartburn...
>
> Since when?
> We boot MSDOS on USB drive where i work, for testing hard drives.
> There is no heartburn whatsoever, and no special prep involved. You
> make the USB drive bootable, pop it in, power on, and it's booted.

The Dell I'm trying to use doesn't boot from USB [1]... and the last
time I tinkered with USB drivers for MSDOS (for ghosting PC images to a
FAT32 USB drive -- several years ago) it was a rather hit-n-miss affair...

[1] Maybe there's a BIOS update that may fix it... it was made in a
"borderline era" when USB booting was in its infancy...

Maybe it's better... maybe FreeDOS runs USB drives fine and is
compatible enough to run my burner software... maybe's means tinkering,
something I need a couple weeks to do... ;-)

Anyone know FreeDOS well enough to know if it installs happily without
b0rking an existing WinXP install? Dual-booting would be a plus...

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger