[Coco] dw 3

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:42:46 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Frank Pittel <fwp at deepthought.com> wrote:
> I like the idea of being able to select drive 256-512, etc up 1024 if desired.
> :-) Leaving the ability to use drive #? would be important for backwards
> compatibility. That would take a rewrite of drivewire hdbdos though.

I don't think there is any way to have more than 256 disk
images/drives online at the same time.  Doing things the way DW3 does
them, you can switch between 4 banks of 256 disks easily, but they
will always be used as disk 0-255.  This is also possible in DW4 in
the default mode.  However, to use this means managing large files
that contain multiple disk images, sort of a hassle.

In the alternate mode of dw4, you can define an infinite number of
disks sets where each of the 256 slots in the set points to a local
.dsk file or a URL where a .dsk file lives.  Still, only one disk set
can be loaded at a time, and they are still referenced as disks 0-255.

-Aaron