[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 22 21:26:43 EST 2010

On 23/11/2010 11:31 AM, Theodore (Alex) Evans wrote:

> If one wants to get pedantic, 8ns giving you 125MHz is only 4x faster than
> 25MHz, not 5x faster.

Damn, my stupid calculator is broken, it _insists_ that 125/25=5, not 4! :(

> especially since there is nothing stopping you from giving the video side 32
> bit access even with no changes to the CPU.

...except for the minor fact that you don't have 32-bit memory...

> If we are modifying the 6x09 CPU, I would like to see support for 24 or 32
> bit addresses in the CPU and a true 16-bit ALU, and yes a wider data bus
> would be nice too. To support all this there would have to be another CPU
> mode because at the very least it would mess up the stack.

Surely that's just a matter of changing the port widths on John Kent's CPU09
core... right John? Maybe you should've used generics when you wrote it!?!

Sorry to be sarcastic Alex, I couldn't help myself. But you do have a
tendency to over-simplify everything.

Regards,