[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Nov 21 20:28:53 EST 2010

On 21 Nov 2010 at 14:00, RJLCyberPunk wrote:

> If I may make a suggestion here when it comes to backward CoCo 1-2
> compatibility why not take a hint from what Apple has done and create an
> Emulator within the FPGA design so that if and when users want to dust off
> their good old CoCo 1 & 2 games they can do seamlessly, hey just a
> suggestion. ;)

While the DE-2 board's FPGA is  not capable of there are newer FPGAs that allow
reconfiguration. You can hold two configuration bitstreams in the configuration rom and boot
either one at any time. One coniguration can be the COCO1/2 the other a COCO3/4.

Solves backward compatibility issues rather easily.

james