[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

Little John sales at gimechip.com
Sat Nov 20 22:59:19 EST 2010

John,
Although I am working on a 512K SIMM for the CoCo 2 (to be compatible with
the JR BANKER BOARD), the current design is for the CoCo 3/GIME. The refresh
is accomplished by feeding E,Q,HSYNC,VSYNC into the CPLD- during any HSYNC
or VSYNC period, the SIMMs are forced into an internal refresh using their
own counters. This would easily fit into an XC9572 - I've actually stuffed
the refresh circuit into a lowly 16V8 plus an added 74HC74. On the 72 pin
simms, I'm not using them as 32-bits, but rather as four 8-bit banks,
determined by cas0-cas3. Since a 72-pinner has only a single /WE, pairs are
required. I'll collect all of this together tomorrow and get it to you if
you'd like to experiment. A larger CPLD might be required to fully implement
the 512M design fully - I initially did the design using SPLD's & HCTTL.
Obviously - a CPLD is the only real way to go because it will eliminate the
need for the dual port sram/register file and save a ton of chips. Plus, any
setup and hold time delays that may be needed can be simply coded into the
VHDL.

Back to the 512K CoCo 2 upgrade - these traditionally require a 74LS785 SAM
and 41256 chips, but if I can apply the same refresh scheme as I'm using
with the CoCo 3, the old 74LS783 SAM can be left in and 256K (any chip
count) SIMMs can be used. I don't have a lot of time to work with the CoCo 2
upgrade, but I'll start on it after I've got everything together for this
CoCo 3 upgrade.

I'll get all of my notes together and email them to you tomorrow if you'd
like. It would be a lot easier to get it going if we all work on it. Heck,
we might even find someone willing to produce them...

-JohnT-