[Coco] What would a CoCo successor have to have as a minimum?

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Sat Nov 20 22:41:51 EST 2010

Hi John.

Would the CPLD include the memory controller logic, or would you rely on
the SAM in the CoCo to do the refresh ?
I would have thought that the wider column would mean that it would need
it's own refresh counter.
There is also all sorts of initialization sequences to set up burst
length and access timing and so on.

I have wanted to play with Xilinx CPLDs. There operate of 5V and you can
get them in PLCC packages. (It's easier for me to solder a plate through
PLCC socket as opposed to a QFP). I would imagine though that to
implement the memory controller you'd need a fairly large CPLD, and
you'd have to multiplex the 32 bit data bus onto a 8 bit CoCo bus. You'd
also probably need some way of buffering the SDRAM data so that it could
be randomly accessed by the CoCo.  i.e. You'd have to hold the processor
if you wrote to SDRAM during a refresh cycle.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent