[Coco] Why do a next Gen CoCo? was Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Nov 19 22:12:00 EST 2010

I more or less agree with you Aaron. The problem gets to be too many
cooks in the kitchen though. But a working group with all members having
access to the code will pretty much solve the problem. The group (five
or more) will have to pass along the code as members become inactive.
But a nice tightly coded base would be better than having to strip down
a larger coded emulator. The code could probably be made more accessible
through something like Source Forge, but at least for initial
development should be restricted to a few people for a faster and more
stable initial release. I've done things by committee before. Takes
longer the more people you have involved, and the end product is more
watered down.

-----------------------
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:31:12 -0500
From: Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com>

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Frank Swygert <farna at att.net> wrote:

> > Ideally the emulator would be set up so that it booted directly into CoCo
> > emulation mode. A stripped down OS with only the necessities (relatively
> > easy to do with FreeDOS and Jeff Vavasour's DOS based emulator). For
> those
> > who want to run with another OS as the primary then Virtual Box
> (which also
> > runs under Windows) would be a good solution. A fork of MESS might
> actually
> > be a good starting point, unless Jeff is willing to give up the code to a
> > working group to modify (or do it himself).

I strongly suggest you require the emulation software be open source. No
matter how good the intentions of a single author, things happen. People
don't see eye to eye, or get busy, or lose interest, or get frustrated,
or a million other things. If this is to be a community project (and one
that stands the test of time) the entire community must have the ability
to maintain and improve the software.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"