[Coco] [Color Computer] Booting up OS9

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 3 13:54:46 EDT 2010

On Wednesday, November 03, 2010 01:42:09 pm citadelbbs did opine:

> Hey guys, I know I don't come on here much (as I wish I could) but
> I am having a little trouble with my OS9 booting up with my old system.
> I am working on it now that I have the time. I'm using OS9 Level 2 on a
> Coco 3 system with 512K memory with a Burke & Burke XT RTC Controller
> The last time I used my system, it worked perfectly. Now it doesn't.
> I'm thinking that I am overlooking something I am doing wrong.
> At first, I thought the ribbon contacts that hook-up to the hard drives
> are tarnished. So I took an eraser to make the contacts clean. That was
> a no-go. However, I am asking myself do I have to have all the hardware
> hooked-up like both hard drives instead of 1 (H0). When I boot up my
> OS9 disk, I get as far as the 80 column window (2 of them) and then
> boot up returns to the 32 column window showing OS9 Boot Fail. I even
> get the same trouble if I use my other Burke & Burke controller that I
> have as a 2nd Controller. I am open to any suggestions.

If you are getting that far, its something in your startup file it doesn't
like.  Look at whatever is after the creation of that 2nd screen.

I have a later B&B controller, but haven't checked its real time clock, it
could be objecting to something.  However, since its my old office machine,
it did survive the y2k scare I believe.  I don't recall if I'd patched the
clock module for it or not, too many years have passed.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)