[Coco] Floppy controller - 7416 failure symptoms? Followup......

Mark Ormond markormond at mtxsystems.com
Sun Nov 14 00:28:38 EST 2010

Ok, I've been trying to get this *&^*&^&* fd-500 controller/disk drive to read and write a good image with no luck.
Today I finally went and visited a good old friend who is a collector like myself.
I borrowed a 26-3029 controller and a trs-80 single external full height drive from him.
Got the setup home, hooked it up to my coco3 and formatted a disk no problems.
(That itself was a huge surprise, since he had gotten this equipment from a barn several years ago, and had never gotten around to trying/or cleaning it.)
So I powered down and hooked up my fd-500 controller and had format/read problems. So I broke out the iron, cut out those 7416's and tossed in a couple of 7406's. Now everything seems fine, both my original controller and disk drive are happy.

Has anyone ever put together a list of failures/fixes for the coco in a format like Ray Carlsen's for the c64?

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm.html

It's great for trouble shooting the commodores, Something like that for the coco would rock.

Well, I'm happy I finally have a disk drive, I think I'll image off some infocom games and play.

Later,
dabone