[Coco] VCC1.41

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun May 30 15:04:03 EDT 2010

What kind of processor does your Windows box have? If you've got a dual
core (or any multi core) processor try running Linux with Sun Virtual
Box installed. I'm running it on a quad core AMD processor with Linux
Mint installed and Windows XP runs as fast or faster than any single
core computer. I set the system up so that the VB takes over one core.
You have to install an actual copy of Windows on the Virtual Box, but
you don't have to partition. The VB software does everything for you. It
can make a dynamic virtual hard drive that isn't a specific size, though
I think you start with a minimum size and it makes it bigger as
necessary. It's really just a big file to the Linux file system. I
haven't looked at it in the Linux file manager to see what it displays
as though. But it works flawlessly so far!

I have WINE installed, and will check Windows software under that before
resorting to the VB. But for software that doesn't like WINE I have an
option! Don't know if the telescope software would work or not. Does the
'scope connect to a USB or serial port? If USB it should work...

When you do take the Linux plunge try Linux Mint. Most Linux
distributions only come with open source software, nothing proprietary.
There are several proprietary codecs for various media files that are
free to use but not open source. You have to find and load those on your
own. The Mint developers don't have the open source hang-up. If it's
something that's needed and free to use it's included. It's the most
"plug-n-play" iteration of Linux I've seen! I forget who suggested Mint,
but I think it was someone on this list. I wanted the easiest to install
and run Linux possible, and that is it! I've installed it on several
machines with few problems. One older Dell (P3) laptop had some driver
issues, but that was due to an odd chip that the Dell used. I forget
what it was... maybe video?

Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 09:50:56 EDT
From: RJRTTY at aol.com

Well I shy away from partitioning whenever I can.  I would much  rather
buy another machine for dedicated operation which I could do.

So I am not really "stuck" with windows but since I am already using  it
(and I am basically lazy to boot)  I use it.    When I  get the time (my
converter
assembly takes all my time right now) I will probably get a linux only
machine
and take the plunge.   Some of the people I respect the most on  this list
use it so it must
be worth the extra effort of running another machine.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"