[Coco] USB cable powered CoCo 3 ???

Steve Bjork 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Wed May 26 13:48:43 EDT 2010

Not a good idea to drive power into the CoCo on the +5 volt line of the
expansion slot.

First, (as pointed out) the CoCo uses more than the 1/2 amp supplied by
the standard USB port. (There are USB ports that supply more power ,
like USB 3.)
But the real problem is damaging the salt chip.  This chip is not only
the 5 volt controller, but also supplies non 5 volt power to other
devices in the CoCo like the RS-232 port.

I would check out the RS-232 port and Cassette Port to make sure they
are both still working that CoCo.

Steve Bjork