[Coco] megaread

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Sun May 23 15:48:05 EDT 2010

On 5/23/10, Roger Taylor wrote:

>>I think he should double check his test.  Just from visual
>>observation I think all of these virtual systems blow a real FDC out
>>of the water.
>>

>>--
>>~ Roger Taylor
>>
>> >From a technical observation, the numbers look correct from Chris,
>> Darren and Boisy.
>>
>>Mark
>>Cloud-9
>

> CLEAR 500
> LOOP
> C=C+1
> FOR T = 0 TO 34
> FOR S = 1 TO 18
> DSKI$ 0,T,S,A$,B$
> ?T;S,C
> NEXT S,T
> repeat

---

Floppy drive performance will fluctuate greatly depending on the
particular usage, and how well it is tailored to the sector interleave
(Skip Factor).  Compare the speed of the BASIC program above with the
speed of the DSKINI verify pass (the second pass after the head moves
back to track 0).  It does exactly the same thing (read all 630
sectors sequentially) but is significantly faster.

For many typical tasks DriveWire can out-perform a real floppy, but
for operations that do a sequential scan of the disk using optimized
software, a real disk will likely do better.

Darren